One of the very marvellous things about June is that it is Strawberry season! Strawberry picking is an annual event and what better way to devour them (asides from in the middle of the field) is to encase them in a gooey meringue and fresh vanilla cream.
The mini pavlova I create above was made from 3 left over egg whites from our carbonara the evening before. So it is a perfect way to ensure the whites don’t go to waste!
- 3 lrge egg whites
- 6 oz caster sugar
- Pre heat oven to 150degrees
- Whites must be in a large CLEAN bowl and no bits of egg or anything or dust – as they will not firm up
- Whisk until you can hold the bowl above your head and the whites stay put
- DO NOT over whisk as they will collapse
- For a firm individual meringue – you only add 1 dessert spoon at a time and whisk for a LITTLE bit – until all added and the mix is super glossy, (NOTE: for a soft meringue topping – you add all the sugar in at once)
- Place on a baking sheet with paper on
- Spoon 1 spoon at a time and kind of blob it so forms a lovely peaked look
- Put in oven and immediately turn down to 140c
- Leave for 1 hour
- Then turn heat OFF but leave meringues in the oven overnight – or until very cool.